C.I.T.Y. SUMMER SCHOOL 2015
The need for Leadership mentality being Installed in African Youths especially Nigerians can not be over-emphasised. So, The C.I.T.Y. Summer School 2015 was organised by Eagles Hope Foundation and the director of the foundation is Femi Taiwo.
This looked to address this challenge. Prior to this Summer School, it had only been on one location (The Bells Secondary School,Ota, ogun State, Nigeria) but due to the high rise of demands from parents and students alike for more participants to be allowed,THE CITY SUMMER SCHOOL 2015 was birthed.
It was to address the Location and number problem. Hitherto, there were 4 locations running simultaneously in Lagos, Ota, Ibadan and Abuja (All in Nigeria). With this in view, about 1000 youths in 4 locations were reached (ie 250 apiece). It was really an awesome experience as the youths were not just exposed to Leadership, but also to Entrepreneurship, Community Service, Public Speaking and Mentorship.
(1) Reaching out to about 250 youths in Ota, Ogun State as part of the 1000 youths reach-out campaign in Nigeria by HOPE FOUNDATION with a view of teaching them Leadership, Entrepreneurship, Service and Public Speaking.
(2) Recruiting more volunteers to make Mentorship plausible.
(3) Encourage continuity of learning and a sense of responsibility after the program by requesting that the Youths engage in CAP, ie CITY ACTION PROJECT, a Project run by Youths and executed by them as well.
HOW THE OBJECTIVES WERE ACHIEVED
Firstly, a Team of Passionate volunteers that volunteer seasonally with HOPE Foundation were assembled. This team in turn were responsible for achieving these goals.
Secondly, The HR Management, with the support of other teams were tasked to deliver on recruiting 50 volunteers to adequately Mentor the Youths during the Summer School.
Thirdly, The Summer School 2015 was an off-shoot of 2014 by which, if there were former participants, their ticket(s) were based on if they did a CAP. (CITY ACTION PROJECT). With this made open to new Youths at the Summer School, they understood the importance of the CAP.
There were new Innovations introduced in the Summer School. 25 students each were put into Squads and named after precious stones, Emerald, Jasper, Topaz, Opal, Peridot, Sapphire, Beryl, Amethyst, Garnet and Zircon. with a daily Photo challenge, ranging from
*Know Your Flag: An Innovation for Nation Building, where the youths are to do a Flag with Inscriptions depicting their Squad. The best in a location is used to compete among other three locations.
Youthfulness and Usefulness: This Photo Challenge was used to address uniqueness in being Youthful and ways to show it via pictures
Sponsorship Promotion: This Photo Challenge was made to see how creative the Youths can be in making a picture with the products given by Sponsors.
- Youths Were actively engaged all through.
- There was always something new to look forward to daily.
- Sponsors got adequate public awareness
- The Youths were inspired and their parents complemented the SUMMER SCHOOL efforts accordingly.
- At a time, #OtaCITY2015 was trending in Ogun State on Social Media.
- Logistics (As it was not a Camp but a Daily School Event and as such the activities that needed to be addressed were not given adequate time.)
Anything is Possible. Just apply your heart and believe you can achieve it.
The Success achieved has spurred the HOPE FOUNDATION to dare into doing greater things.