The campaign is to bring together the congregations in the Lutheran Communion in Central and Eastern Africa(LUCCEA) member churches for a combined green initiative.
As a youth coordinator of the LUCCEA, Tsegahun Assefa has gotten member churches to designate the second week of July to be Green Week so that in that week all the congregations in the member churches plant trees and run campaigns on environmental stewardship, as well as preach and teach on Sunday and give sermons.
- Make all the congregation compounds of the member churches green
- Increase the understanding of the 15 million members of the communion to be aware of nature stewardship
HOW THE OBJECTIVES WERE ACHIEVED
- The second week of July becomes Green Week in all member churches
- Different campaigns and issue forums takes place in congregations.
- Produced brochures
- Introduced on radio and tv programs
- Around 7 million people have started to get involved in the campaign.
- 15 million people have heard about the nature stewardship campaign.
- Designating a week for the campaign in all member churches was the biggest challenge.
An activity that started small can grow and make a large impact on others, if you work hard at it.