Adopt Efficient biomass Stove and Save Women and Save Trees from
Traditional Stoves are harmful for women and trees. These stoves emit several toxic gases in large quantity which cause several health issues for women and children. This is the prime reason of poor immunity towards diseases in women in developing countries.
India is suffering a lot for this reason. But this aspect is mostly neglected by physicians. Neither can they suggest any solution nor do they educate women and families on this. Obviously, children also suffer. Traditional stoves consumes large amount of fuel wood and is the major cause of destruction of trees. It is the most consistent and core reason for forest destruction across all the developing countries.
I have been campaigning, meeting people and bureaucrats, as well as conducting meetings across Odisha with villagers, NGOs and youth leaders to promote smokeless efficient biomass stoves as a solution. Due to an annual loss of 70 million trees (or more)due to the stoves we suffer several economic and ecological issues.
- To make people aware about the health of both women and the environment.
- To take science and technology to women and reduce their drudgery in many dimensions of life.
- To promote safe technologies for sustainable development of women and the environment.
HOW THE OBJECTIVES WERE ACHIEVED
Mentored Atasi Solar, an independent enterprise.
Promoted more than 5000 efficient stoves in Mayurbhanj District of Odisha, India.
- Motivated women to become local entrepreneurs.
-Promoted efficient stoves by women.
- Encouraged youth to go for social enterprises at local level.
-Used Facebook, Linkedin and CSR projects.
- Reduced dependency on fuel wood from trees.
-Increased use of twigs, cow dung cake, waste biomass.
- Reduced case of drudgery due to smoke from biomass burning.
- Reduced cases of bronchial infections.
- Eye burning is almost nil in those who are using efficient stove.
Here are some links to see the impact:
- Low awareness
- Slow adaptation
- Low/ no Govt encouragement
- Financial constraints
- Policy (VAT) related to sales tax should be addressed
- Campaign needs to be intensified and expanded to larger area.
- Credit linkage to buy such efficient stoves for poor families is necessary.
-More people should be associated.
-TV and Radio should create awareness and youth must be used as development ambassadors.