Recue in Remand
The campaign was a visitation of remand (detention) homes to ascertain the habitation rights of inmates and also rescue juveniles in remand, whose rights has been violated ,especially the poorest of the poor among them.
1. To bring human rights into the everyday life of the people.
2. To defend and promote the rights of the voiceless.
3. To show the world that you do not need be a lawyer to demand your fundamental human rights.
4. To spark the spirit of when you see something you speak up, in Nigerian youths.
5. To urge the Nigerian government to respect human rights treaties.
HOW THE OBJECTIVES WERE ACHIEVED
I wrote petitions to National Human Rights Commission in Nigeria and the Governor of Kaduna State, Nigeria.
I took advantage of related radio programs to be featured as a guest and drummed up support on the issues I raised in my petition to generate attention.
I also posted the petitions on my social media accounts, and on the National Human Rights Commission and goverment' social media walls.
The inmates that were unlawfully detained and those given unfair hearings were set free due to the intervention of the Human Rights Commission.
The remand home has vacated all inmates in readiness to renovate the home.
People were barely willing to offer relevant information to me, especially those working at the remand home, for fear of losing their jobs.
We are the government and if we do not speak up, there is little the government can do to better lives.